The Young's Story:
Young's aims to shed new light on classic American food by bringing to the forefront chef-inspired American food that is vegetable based. At Young's, we are able to show that there is great, accessible food, that didn't begin with an animal, and this food is just as American as a cheeseburger, heightening perfectly sourced local vegetables, fruits and grains from the salad and side dish menu to the center stage. We feel strongly about forming relationships with our favorite local purveyors and products.
Taking the concept to the street in the Summer of 2013, Young's set up a stand at the Hester St. Fair in Manhattan, which ran every Saturday through the season. Gaining a following and momentum from the market, Young's was able to break into the world of catering and pop-up events.
Our pop-up restaurants and catering offer vegetable based menus with an emphasis on local American foods. All dishes consist of both a food component and a beer or cocktail component (or neither, if you're not a drinker). The beverages complete the dishes - foods are chosen with drinks in mind, and drinks are chosen with foods in mind. We are working with some of the best vegetable-minded chefs and mixologists in the city to create a truly unique experience.
Based in New York City, we are currently working out of a kitchen in Long Island City (just a stone's toss from Manhattan) and planning for a restaurant in downtown Manhattan!
co-founder/director of operations
Alexander began his career at the French Culinary Institute, moving on to cook for several of the city's finest chefs and restauranteurs including Jean Georges, Marcus Samuelson, and more. He eventually moved to the front of the house to work as a manager and maître d' for one of New York City's largest and most reputable restaurant groups. His love for food has led him to spend a considerable amount of time consulting for small organic farms around the country where he has worked with farmers to revise their business plans to create updated selling strategies. At the University of Pennsylvania Alexander pursued a variety of subjects ranging from entrepreneurship and marketing to philosophy and religious studies. While a student at Penn, Alexander continued to work as a private chef for clients in NY, CT and PA. Within the Young's project Alexander cares primarily for almost all of the business oriented attributes of the company. Additionally, he works to ensure that Young's sources from only the best farms in the area and celebrates these relationships by bridging the gaps between farmer, chef and diner. Finally, Alexander works to ensure that Young's is constantly working and interacting with the community in which we work both through educational outreach programs (cooking demonstrations/lessons) and donations to fund raisers. Alexander is a registered cicerone.
A native of Pennsylvania, Jessica grew up surrounded by farmers’ markets that produced fresh fruits and vegetables and local, culinary specialties that formed the quintessential farm to table experience. Jessica moved to New York City to attend the French Culinary Institute where her culinary career began. She continued to work in kitchens at top New York Times and Michelin rated restaurants owned by restauranteurs large and small, from Danny Meyer to Dan Barber and Philippe Massoud. Jessica went on to work as a private chef in PA, NY, CT Palm Beach, and Hamptons where she specialized in creating vegetable centered meal plans and catering large events for her clients. She served as the opening pastry chef for one of New York's most successful gluten-free restaurants. Finally, Jessica works as a consultant for nutritionalists for whom she creates complete meal plans for a variety of limiting diets. At Young's, Jessica primarily writes menus and serves as resident chef. Her vision has guided the project thus far and continues to serve as inspiration for the future of Young's.
Farmers & Friends:
- Anson Mills Grains Columbia, SC
- Eckerton Hill Farm Berks County, PA
- Bette & Dale's Farm Sag Harbor, NY
- Anthill Farm Wayne County, PA
- Brooklyn Grange New York, NY
- Maxwell's Farm Warren County, NJ
- Madura Farms Pine Island, NY
- Migliorelli Farm Tivoli, NY
- Satur Farms Long Island, NY
- Sycamore Farms Middletown, NY
- Sweetberry Mountain Farm Roscoe, NY
- Sweet'tauk Lemonade Montauk, NY
- Windfall Farms Orange County, NY
- Norwich Meadows Farm Norwich, NY
- Oak Grove Plantation Pittstown, NJ
- Okamoto Ice Studios Long Island City, NY
- Turul Furniture New York, NY
- Queens County Farm Glen Oaks, NY
More on why we do what we do:
- Forks Over Knives “I loved it and I need all of you to see it.” – Dr. Oz
- TED Talks Food Mark Bittman and Carolyn Steel
- TEDx Matthey Kenney, a raw food chef on "Cupcakes as addictive as Cocaine"
- CNN Eatocracy on the vegan lifestyle
- Fox News & Men's Health report on The Sex Secret Vegans Know
- CNN Bill Clinton; from omnivore to vegan (from The Last Heart Attack)
- Vegan Recipe Videos courtesy of Ellen Degeneres
- Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease by Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn
- Eat To Live #1 New York Times Best-Seller by Dr. Joel Fuhrman
- Food Rules #1 New York Times Best-Seller by Michael Pollan
- Scientific American on why 50% raw is a good thing
- JAMA study on Modern Technology & Chronic Disease